CEC High School Volunteer Program and Scholarship to further our mission to engage our community in service
The United Way of Defiance County Community Engagement Center (CEC) has been a resource in connecting Defiance County citizens to local volunteer and in-kind donation needs since 2014. The online resource is located at www.volunteerdefiancecounty.com. The program is supported by United Way of Defiance County and funded by the annual United Way of Defiance County Hot Air Balloon Festival and the event’s generous sponsors. This new program will inspire more youth to join our movement, but adults are welcome to join the CEC too! We currently have over 400 volunteers registered on the website receiving notifications when opportunities in the community arise that match their interests.
To further our mission to engage our community in service, we provide the CEC High School Volunteer Program. Students from all Defiance County schools grades 9 through 12 are invited to participate in this volunteer recognition program. Many students are already serving the community, and we are providing an opportunity to track volunteer hours and be recognized for that service. We hope that adding a scholarship incentive that can be used to further their career or secondary education will inspire volunteerism and motivate community involvement throughout their lifetime.
Volunteer Leadership Scholarship
Annually, one eligible high school senior will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship that can be used towards any secondary education including skilled labor and job training. Funds can be used towards tuition, books, fees, and/or supplies required for the program of study. Once enrollment is confirmed, UWDC will send a check directly to the institution.
This year, UWDC has decided to award two (2) eligible high school seniors a $1,000 scholarship. UWDC believes that with the hardships of COVID-19, students have had the opportunity to impact our community in unconventional ways.
Who is eligible?
Any Defiance County student in the 12th grade.
How to apply?
- Complete the application form below.
- Upload this completed recommendation form by a teacher, coach, advisor, employer or volunteer supervisor to your application.
- Complete an essay in 500 words or less (to be completed in the application form) that answers the following question:
- How has the Coronavirus pandemic affected your ability to creatively volunteer and/or help in your community? Please provide examples.
- Applications must be submitted by March 15, 2021 at 12:00 pm EST.
- If you are selected for the award, you will be notified by April 1, 2021.